Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Serpico interview

Everyone who has been reading us a while knows we LOVE Serpico. If you're new and haven't checked them out yet - get to it, they rule. We recently did an interview with their singer Mikey and since he and I have become friends we opted for something a little lighter and hopefully funny. Dig in.

What were you doing right before you sat down to answer these questions?

Playing a really crappy He-Man game on the PS2... I just bought it in this second hand games shop thinking "Oooh, He-Man, how retro-chic - I will be filled with nostalgia!". However, after about half a level I've been filled with boredom.

What's your favorite movie?

That's so hard... I'm gonna go for Switchblade Romance (or 'Haute Tension' to give it the original French title)... It's a French horror film and it's totally awesome. I'm not sure if it's my total favourite (note the correct spelling) film ever (let's go Transformers!) but it's definitely up there in the top group.

What's your favorite food?

Pizza with mushrooms and smoked sausage. I doubt you guys have any idea what smoked sausage is... just trust me it's awesome. If you're ever in Scotland I'd recommend trying one!

If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?

Other than going around looking at naked ladies... hmmm... that would probably take up a lot of my time... I'd probably go to a football match and make sure that my team won by tripping up all the opposition players! It'd be awesome, I'd get the rush of running out into a stadium full of people, making sure my team wins and freaking the hell out of everyone with my invisible ninja powers!

What was the first song you knew the words to?

I have no idea... I've always been singing! So it's probably some baby song in reality. When I was about 10 years old, I got big into pop music and I started buying tapes (OLD SCHOOL!) of that stuff... and I used to know all the words to those stupid songs. However, I'm gonna say that it was "The Touch" by Stan Bush, which was on the Transformers movie, which I watched hundreds of times... I loved (and still love) the soundtrack to that film and I'm pretty sure it was that which prepared me for metal when I was in my teens... so thank you Stan Bush for your super cheesy Van Halen rip off!

Do you have any nicknames? If so, what are they?

Nothing that people really call me all the time... although my band monikers so far are Captain Grammar (because I'm always correcting people's spelling and grammar) and Captain Pout (because I can't walk past a mirror or be in a photo without pouting/posing).

What band is your guilty pleasure?

I like loads of bands that people probably think are totally gay! I really like the All American Rejects... I really like Hinder - I like cheesy music. I'm not ashamed - I don't find them a guilty pleasure though, I just like 'em... and if anybody wants to disagree I'll take them down!

What is your day job?

Rockstar... I don't do anything else, so that's basically it for me! ;) Our bassist is a gym teacher, drummer is a bar man and one guitarist works in a shop... other guitarist is, like me, a full time gentleman of leisure/rockstar

Who is the craziest fan you've met?

There was a girl who jumped on me while we were out promoting at a Stone Sour gig, that was pretty crazy! She'd heard us on myspace and when she saw me she just attacked! lol... she came to our next gig and proceeded to jump all over me and bite me and stuff... I'd say that definitely was the most crazy so far! I'm sure we'll get some better ones soon...

Do you have any brothers or sisters?

Nope... I'm an only and that's the way I like it! I like being alone most of the time so it suits me :)

You have an interesting education for an aspiring rock star – enlighten the readers.

Okies... I went to a posh boarding school until I was 18 (although I actually lived at home cos it was like 5 mins from my house) and I was probably what you'd call a "Straight A Student"... cos I got all A's! Then I went to Oxford University and I studied Law for 3 years, which was pretty cool. I could have done post-graduate study in criminology but I really wanted to focus on the band... so maybe in 20 years when I'm an old haggard rock star I'll be able to go back to Oxford and do some post-grad!

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love Shame-free?

I don't answer things on a scale of 1-10. I only work on a scale of 1-I Love Shame-free. So on a scale 1-I Love Shame-free I'd say about 1500. Work that one out...

To check them out and to find out more information about their end of summer tour with INME visit their Myspace here: www.myspace.com/serpicoband

No comments: