Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Eternal Thoughts of the Sunshine Mind pt. 2

October 25th (and we all know how tiring and monumental Oct 24th was) I started a new Pastry Chef position. It is a fairly basic menu, but still an adjustment. That weekend I also attended a family wedding upstate. I returned Monday, to my new job and CMJ. I tried with (almost) all my might to catch Tokyo Police Club and The Horrors and yet was unable to do so. However, the week was still a well balanced, good time! Tuesday, Halloween, I dressed up and went down to my local beer garden/bbq (owned by my roommate) and terrorized the clientele in 2 ways.
- First, I was the only person in the joint dressed up (in bloody vampire gore) for the first 2 hours of the evening. During this 2 hour period I consumed a burger (I was sorely tempted to order tartar for effect) and as many Jameson's neat as my roommate would pour me consecutively.

Second, I decided that the music selection was unpalatable, ran home to gather a 'better' selection, and 'forced' the bartender (again, my roommate) to play the cd's I had provided. The selection I deigned Halloween appropriate was: 36 Crazy Fists, A Snow Capped Romance; Mastodon, Blood Mountain; Headbangers Ball, Vol. 2; My Chemical Romance, The Black Parade; The Blood Brothers, Young Machetes; and the Skeleton Crew Sampler. (I take any chance I can get to introduce folks to Leathermouth!) Almost everyone enjoyed the selection but when he finally said we should quiet it down some, I drunkenly insisted that he replay all the quieter tracks on The Black Parade semi-against his will. Oh alcohol and aggressive rock can make me a little bit rascally.

Wednesday, 2 of my absolutely fave bands of this year played together at Club Midway. I met my friend Scott at Midway right before The Rinse took the stage. They rocked out a FANTASTIC set! They were all gussied up and James, the guitarist even had a penciled on mustache. So fancy! Wills, the singer, was boundlessly energized and energizing, as usual, setting up the vibe for the rest of the night. 3 more of my friends arrive after The Rinse, but in time for the next band, Read Yellow, who fucking blew the doors off the place. I don't know if I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd but all of my friends jumped ship on this performance because they all thought it was 'too loud'. Regardless of the noise level, the frontman 'rocked out (nearly) with his cock out'! Fuck! I haven't seen a performer like that since Jack Black. This guy went NUTS, careening all over the stage and floor and singing his heart out. Punk rock, with full control, never crashing into anything, no matter how hard he flailed. "The dictionary defininition of the word spastic." Gritty, guitar-y indie rock out of Boston. Check them out. Then, my darlings, Scissors For Lefty closed out the show with their second performance of the evening. They opened with 'Ghetto Ways'and ran with it from there, playing a few songs I hadn't heard yet. Bryan is as charming, delightful and tasty as a frontman could be! A fantastic show! LOVE!

Friday, an attempt was made to attend Tokyo Police Club at Mercury Lounge with a CMJ pass my friend found on the street. Unfortunately, twaty Albert Hammond, Jr. was playing directly after our boys so the starfuckers were out in full effect which precluded our entrance to the venue, pass or no pass. Little did I know Ira was djing a metal set 1 block away at Guero.

Saturday, I baked chocolate cupcakes with peppermint buttercream for my folks, The Rinse and skipped down to The Tank to see them with 2 of my friends who hadn't heard them yet. Directly before they came on Hello Nurse delighted us with a performance that was fun, catchy, dynamic and not wholey unlike Fall Out Boy sans eyeliner. The Rinse's performance blew my friends away and they left excited and promising to see them again! They have recently recorded an e.p. so I'm hoping they will be able to make it available soon.

No comments: